YES! There are foods that are good for you and also some that will help you lose that extra weight, and yes, even burn fat! What are these foods you wonder? Well below we will exploreÂ my top favorite fat burning foods and recipes, courtesy of Runners World to help youÂ Â to use these foods in your everyday homecooked meals, allowingÂ you and your family get back in shape! Making small changes can help you achieve significant weight-loss results. I recommend following the principles of the Abs Diet, which outlines which foods will boost metabolism the most.
The Abs Diet food list is as follows, including 12 Powerfoods, chosen for their fiber and protein content:
- Almonds (and other nuts)
- Beans and legumes
- Spinach and other green leafy vegetables
- Low fat or non-fat dairy products such as milk, yogurt and cheese
- Unsweetened, unflavored oatmeal
- Lean meat such as turkey and chicken breast
- Peanut butter
- Olive oil
- Whole grain breads and cereals
- Whey protein powder
Additionally, the Abs Diet follows someÂ basic principles, which we will explore below:
1. Consume 6 meals per day: smaller portions spread throughout the day evens metabolism and keeps fat burning all day long.
2. Choose at least 2 foods from the "Powerfoods" list.
3. Meals are based on protein, fiber, calcium, and unsaturated fat content, including a higher intake on protein, fiber, and calcium and lower intake on other fats.
4. Limit refined carbohydrates, saturated fats and trans fats.
5. Limit Alcohol consumption.
6. Exercising a minimum of 20 minutes a day, three times per week.
7. Incorporating 2 strength training workouts and abdominal exercises each week.
The following recipes I have added for additonal assistance in following the Abs diet and incorporating fat burning foods into your regular meal plans throughout the week. IÂ have personally found that not only are these recipes delicious, but they are also low in calorie and fat intake while being higher in protein and fiber, thus increasing likelihood for success in your own diet and workout routine!
Spinach and Feta Omelet
What you will need:
2 large eggs, spinach, feta or cheddar cheese
CookÂ two large eggsÂ on low heat in aÂ non-stick skillet until edges becomeÂ firm. Cover with fresh spinach then cook covered for approximately 2 minutes, spinachÂ will become tender. Sprinkle 3 tbsp. feta cheese or cheddar cheese over the spinach. Using a spatula, carefully fold the egg in half into an omelet. Continue to cook omelet covered on low heat for an additionalÂ 2 minutes.
What you will need:
Premade Pitas, Chicken, Pizza sauce, spinach, onions, bell pepper slices, minced garlic, low-fat or fat free mozzerella cheese
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lay pita flat on cooking pan, coat pita with 2 to 3 tablespoons pizza sauce. top pita with chicken, spinach, onions, bell pepper slices, garlic, and a small amount of mozzerella cheese. Cook pita in center rack of over for 7 to 8 minutes or until edges of pizza are crispy.
See Runners World for additional recipes not listed here that you might find to be your own favorite at home!